nafex - Re: [NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:25:10 -0700

Comfrey is a two edged sword. The fleshy roots do go DEEP and can bring up minerals and break up hard soil. Also, the leaves can be mowed several times a year to make an excellent compost or mulch. But once you plant the stuff, it's nearly impossible to get out without something like Roundup. And don't even THINK of cultivating near it. Cut and spread even a few roots and it'll get all over creation. We planted a small row near a fence and now can easily tell where the gophers went by where comfrey comes up from the roots they moved around in their tunnels. And it's continuing to spread. The only non-chemical way to kill it is constant, repeated cultivation as soon as it shows a leaf, until the roots are exhausted. That can take a couple of years.
-Lon Rombough