nafex - Re: [NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:18:46 -0500

________________________________

ginda asked:
>Has anyone planted daffodils or other bulbs under fruit trees?
>Daffodils do most of their business before the trees come into leaf,
>so the shade shouldn't be much of a problem. But how badly do the
>daffodils compete with the trees for nutrients, and water? I'm
>thinking of putting in some daffodils under my little apricot.

A couple of years ago I attended a workshop (might have been at the MOSES
Organic Farming Conference in LaCrosse, WI) on permaculture with hazelnuts
and other nut and fruit trees, presented by Mark Shepard who lives in SW
Wisconsin. If I remember right, he used various bulbs and herbs under his
trees, including daffodils and comfrey. I'll have to look up my notes and
handouts from the session, as the bulbs and comfreey are something that I
want to try myself, in my orchard.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI