nafex - Re: [NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] daffodils and fruit trees
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:20:49 -0700

That was also my only concern with the idea.  The leaves produce the energy for next year’s bulbs, so they can’t be mowed or placed in too much shade.  This shouldn’t stop you – I’m doing a landscaping plan with mixed flowering and ornamental plants beneath the fruit trees.  As the trees mature, and shade increases, I’ll lose some flowering – but I expect that, and other plants will fill in as conditions change.  Some flowers are very thrifty feeders, and those that don’t should thrive without your having to change your fertilizing schedule.  I’ve had decades of success with frequent light feedings over the entire garden.  I don’t concentrate fertilizer near trees, but fertilize the grounds entire, covering anywhere the roots might roam.

I wouldn’t have the bulbs in turf; as Lon said, you wouldn’t be able to mow.  So plant amid a lower maintenance ground cover.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate