nafex - Re: [NAFEX] I want a fruit-storage cooler.

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] I want a fruit-storage cooler.
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:14:45 -0400

Timing is everything.

I just read where there are packets available that deplete oxygen...to be
used for home storage and very long term storage of grains, etc. Typical
sizes will eat up 500cc of oxygen. That is very small compared to bushels of
apples.

I believe that they are the same technology as those little handwarmer
packages. That is, iron dust and salt. The poster made the comment that
removing oxygen from air reduces volume by approximately 20% and
accomodations must be made for infiltration or leakage. Those handwarmers
are pretty cheap at the end of icefishing season.

Who knows, maybe controlled atmosphere storage is within the reach of the
average fruit grower.

-Joe