nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Bags

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Bags
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:42:03 -0500

The bags she made were square and stitched on 3 sides. It worked very well to use twist ties. Before we decided we need to make the bags we tried just gathering the material and fastening aroung the fruit with a twist tie, but quickly decided it was clumsy to do it that way and realized bags were easier. We put them on the fruit as soon as they were big enough to get a twist tie around the peduncle. Didn't lose very many to June drop b/c we thinned well before putting the bags on. It worked well for our apricots, peaches, apples, and pears. I like your ideas for using materials that could be a little cheaper than reemay. We used reemay b/c we had a lot lying around from our unheated hoophouse that we use for winter salad mix.

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rodney" <reveland@collinscom.net>