nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw pollination

  • From: Pat Scott <quandong@iinet.net.au>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw pollination
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:13:10 +0800

Apparently mango pollination benefits from blowflies, also. Here is a trick mentioned on the web, which might also work for pawpaws:

http://www.tndais.gov.tw/Briefing/briefing89_english.htm
Tainan District Agricultural Improvement Statio, Taiwan.

Fruit setting of mango can be increased by 30~50% if there is a large population of blowflies in the orchard during the flowering period. Providing food for these insects can help to ensure this. Mixing soybean powder with fish powder to feed blow flies can increase pollination and fruit setting of mango (the image shows a tray heaped with this powdery mixture).

Cheers,
Pat