nafex - [NAFEX] Paw Paw pollination

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Paw Paw pollination
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:16:44 -0600

There are a number of Smilax species, "sawbrier" being primarily used for
Greenbrier, as Smilax herbacea has no thorns, also called smooth Greenbrier..
Check
out this link below, or search Smilax herbacea and check other pages. One
reports
the specific carrion smell to be "dead rats". Although I have smelled dead
rats,
the odor did not leave a permanent impression. I think "carrion flower" must
have
become just a nickname for Smilax in general. Smilax herbacea is the only
species
with the odor, as I understand it. Listed as HARDY TO ZONE 4, with edible
berries,
leaves, and young stems, so it belongs in our listserv of its own merits.
Sounds
like you would know if you had this species around.
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/smilaxherb.html
Now we just have to find a seed source,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine