nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Claypool Persimmon Orchard - A call for help...

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Claypool Persimmon Orchard - A call for help...
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:39:51 -0500

BTW, if anyone belongs to other fruit groups, lives in or near St. Elmo, or can otherwise get the word out, please cut and paste the following notice. THANKS for any help.

IMMEDIATE RELEASE - March 17, 2006:
CONTACT: webmaster@persimmonpudding.com

Critical historical persimmon orchard is in trouble and YOUR time is needed!

The Claypool Persimmon Orchard is located on 3 acres in southeastern Illinois, just outside of the small town of St. Elmo. It is VERY important historically but in serious trouble. Its owner makes no money from it. He is in his 90s and cannot do needed maintenance. He has always used it for the public good. Countless numbers of home growers, fruit researchers, and more have greatly benefited by the owner's benevolence with regard to allowing access and providing loads of information.

The situation is dire. The orchard has recently become severely damaged by twig girdlers. In case this beetle is new to you, here's the thumbnail sketch. Younger twigs are girdled (usually before a fork) by adult beetles in late summer to early fall. They then lay eggs in the outer part. This outer part of the twig will drop to the ground eventually. What happens in the outer portion of the twig is that the eggs hatch, larvae feed and grow and then by late spring to early summer, pupate. They emerge as adults in the late summer to early fall and the cycle continues. The critical point in disrupting this is to gather up all of the twigs, which have fallen (and any that have been girdled but not yet fallen) and burn them. This will burn any larvae/pupae that will be using the twigs to grow into adults.

Several knowledgeable folks will be on hand to discuss persimmons (and other topics), answer questions, talk science, home orchards, etc. You can learn not only about persimmons, but a little natural history, as well as work on something worthwhile. Please read the account below and PLEASE let me know if you'd like to help. Dates are not yet available, as we're at the start of planning. However, this will need to happen SOON...probably in April, possibly May.

We're searching for local scout troops, FFA, and other leads on anyone we can get. The plan is to have all of us volunteers gather on-site, and do some damage to the twig girdler population. We plan to set up some fire barrels, and round up the fallen twigs. Additionally, if we have the people and equipment, we hope to do some cleanup mowing and such.

We can put a real dent in this, but we need warm bodies (and maybe some folks who can haul in barrels and a mower or three). The Claypool Persimmon Orchard is an important historical fruit collection that suffers from a little neglect. Jim Claypool has always used this orchard for the public good and we believe this should be reciprocated.

We are at a point in history when these historic orchards are under threat from a variety of pressures and many have been lost. Sorry for the soapbox, but the description of the damage in the orchard is alarming...but not irreversible. If we can rustle up enough folks, this could be done in a matter of a few hours.

Additionally, Your volunteer efforts for a day can have far-reaching benefits.

PLEASE give this some consideration. I'll update when we can give some specifics. Again, we're shooting for late April, possible May. And, if any of you hold any sway over groups of people, and think you can mobilize, PLEASE contact me ASAP.

Thanks for reading. Please help spread the word.
barry
webmaster@persimmonpudding.com