nafex - [NAFEX] Nursery site advice?

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Nursery site advice?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:20:29 -0600

Hello All,
In my continuing start-up nursery business quest, I have run into a site
issue:
Slope. Two of the fields I am considering for woody stock have a little more
than
slight slopes. This is not a question about drainage etc, but about wood
physiology.
Most nursery books suggest that fields should be mostly flat or only slightly
sloping. My assumption is this is meant to address the formation of
compression and
tension wood. Compression wood is the side(s) of the tree that is being
leaned upon
by weather or due to terrain adjustments. Tension wood is the side(s) of the
tree
being stretched or pushed upon. So the inside of a curve and the outside of a
curve. A tree can appear totally straight, but have internal structure where
the
heartwood is dramatically placed toward one side of a tree, as the tree
compensated
for stress by placing thicker growth rings on one side of the tree, while the
other
side is highly compacted rings. These formations can be structural defects in
yard
and urban settings. These formations also have bearing upon limb placement,
distribution of water and nutrients, and in extreme cases maintenance of a
central
leader and tree longevity. As a tree's habitat (shaded to open, competition
to no
competition, blocked wind to direct wind force) changes, so does this
formation,
creating a twisting, spiraling center of gravity which every tree has
naturally.
I am wondering if I will be altering for all future growth of the woody stock
the
orientation of the woody internal structure by growing on a sloped field. I
also
wonder about root formation and the uphill attachment versus the downhill
bracing.
Maybe I am concerned too deeply about trees which will only be grown in these
conditions for 2-3 years? The future customer planting site will correct and
alter
any nursery established fiber weight distribution and rooting?
Looking for Feedback from growers and potential customers,
The Worry Wart
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine