nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pitmaston, virus

  • From: rmelrose@silicondairy.net
  • To: lonrom@hevanet.com
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pitmaston, virus
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:24:08 -0500 (EST)

Mine has not had any symptoms like that, the leaves look fine. It is very
upright -- so it has been difficult to persuade it to grow a reasonable
scaffold -- and slow growing. Since I do not have much experience with
MM106 (and I doubt that it is really hardy here in zone 4, perilously close
to the edge of 3) I had vaguely assumed that that was why it was so
backward. On the other hand, I have a Lord's Seedling on M26 not far away
that has been slow too and it may be that the soil is poor, although pears
are doing pretty well only 50 feet further on. Of course there are those
who contend that dwarfing rootstocks are a bad idea in this sort of
climate, in any case I will try feeding it a bit this coming Spring. I only
got it on MM106 because that was all Southmeadow had at the time.

Richard