nafex - [NAFEX] Pitmaston, virus

  • From: rmelrose@silicondairy.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pitmaston, virus
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:02:13 -0500 (EST)

> Got Pitmaston Pineapple from Southmeadow one time and pulled it as soon
> as it grew. The thing was a poster child for spreading virus. There
> were more virus symptoms on that one tree than any three other apples
> I've ever seen.
> -Lon Rombough
> Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association
> "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
> On Mar 10, 2006, at 7:46 AM, sjkeipert@highstream.net wrote:
>
> I am looking for scion wood for the apple varieties Sandow and Pitmaston
> Pineapple. Could anyone on the list provide either of these? I can pay
> for
> shipping costs or provide a variety of other cold hardy fruit scions.
> Thanks -
> Steve Keipert (sjkeipert at highstream dot net)

That is interesting Lon. I have Pitmaston growing here in Vermont (rather
slowly, it is on MM106 and from Southmeadow too). What do you take as clear
signs of virus infection? May slow growth is one sign? Mine has been in the
ground for nearly 9 years and is still pretty weedy looking. It did manage
a couple of flowers last year.

So, yes, I do have some scionwood Steve -- send me an address and I will
send some to you (if you still want it ...).

Richard
rmelrose at silicondairy dot net