nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Beach Plum

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Beach Plum
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:09:47 -0600

I've had a couple of seedling beach plums, from Ken Asmus' OIKOS Tree Crops nursery, growing here for 8-10 years - and I have a good clay soil. One is quite dwarf in stature, compared to the other one, and only the dwarf selection has fruited, but it does so yearly, and unlike the Jap.hybrid, Chickasaw, and European plums(still no fruit 12 years from planting), I've rarely noticed any brown rot, and the fruits hang well, actually will dry on the plant - they almost never fall off. Nice little fruits, and I'll pick a handful or two as I pass by on the lawnmower, until they're all gone, or completely dried out, whichever comes first.

Lucky