nafex - [NAFEX] Pecans

  • From: "Dylan Ford" <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pecans
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:42:04 -0500

Topgun. Lon, Lucky, Charles, Donna,

Thank you all for your input on the Pecan question. I have set myself a
little project, to do surrepticious shelterbelt type plantings on neglected
public lands around here. It was my idea that these pecans might do nicely
for that, in which case nut quality, etc., will not be an issue. I think I
will use the instructions you have all provided to sprout the nuts this
spring, and then try to get them going in pots. At that point I will
probably get greedy, and be tempted to graft and keep at least a couple,
though space will definitely be a consideration.

I have never seen or heard of a fruiting pecan on Long Island, but with
atmospheric warming, I suppose conditions may be improving. If these pecans
hatch and thrive, and I decide to graft any I will get back to you Lucky for
your NJ friend's contact info. Again, thanks everyone.

Sincerely, dylan

Dylan Ford is the author of the proposal at www.ideaforpresident.com , a
website devoted to an idea that could provide an avenue to address pollution
issues, food safety, social justice, prison reform and healthcare.