nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pears in z4?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pears in z4?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:24:33 -0500

On Dec 24, 2005, at 3:22 PM, Claude Jolicoeur wrote:

A 22:23 05.12.23 +0000, vous avez écrit :
Is it time for another discussion of which pear cultivars are doing well or
at least surviving in zone 4? 3? Cold hardiness and disease tolerance.
Here's a list I'm curious about:

Tanis, I grow quite a few varieties near Quebec, zone 4.
. . .
Seckel - very late, got only 1 small pear, fabulous.
. . .

My uncle grows pears in the Catskills. In general the area is zone 5, but he's on top of a hill, very exposed, and there's a clear climate difference between his hilltop and the nearby lake. He has a seckel which has done very well, and the pears are fabulous (although very small.)

His major problem has been with raccoons. Once the pears get old enough to bear the bark must get sweeter, or something, because that's when they start to attack. One hungry raccoon can strip all the bark off a mature, bearing tree in a short period of time. His seckel is 85% dead, with a thin strip of bark along the side supporting a couple of upper branches.

Ginda