nafex - [NAFEX] Weather Maps, etc.

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Weather Maps, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:28:42 -0600

Well, as long as we are talking temperatures, zones, etc., I'll throw my 2 cents worth in.  Zone charts are relative.  History repeats itself.  So does weather.  And most importantly, God is faithful!

I use the historical weather data for our county (McHenry County in northern Illinois)and take the historical low and the historical high and then I know how cold it can get and how hot it can get.  Everything in between is relative.  We buy our trees from a nursery that is within the relatively same Zone (5) we are in and take it from there.

There is only one weather factor that I watch closely and that is the jet stream, which so far this winter has been coming down out of Canada bringing unusually cold temps for our county at this early date.  We have a good snow cover of about 14 inches that is protecting the trees and we have plastic wraps around our 11,000 trees to protect them from the voles with the heavy snow cover.

I find that the jet stream is a great predictor of temperatures and, using http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag192.html I can get a 3 day forecast of temperature movements to prepare for harsh temps if need be.  I also use http://www.weatherimages.org/index.html#aviation to get other weather info since it is a one stop weather shop so to speak.  Hope this info is useful.
Thank you for contacting us!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard

  • [NAFEX] Weather Maps, etc., Dennis Norton, 12/22/2005