nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bark damage

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: Dennis Norton <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bark damage
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:51:43 -0500

That was a very interesting article you cited. I only had time to look at it briefly, but what I got from the article is that pretty much anything that you put on the wound will interfere or at least not promote healing, with the possible exception of calcium. This is in line with recommendations of the past few decades -- to leave wounds exposed for best healing. This would not, of course apply to grafts, which need to be covered so that the scions, as yet unattached to the rootstocks, do not dry out.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
A Northeast Gardener's Year