nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bark damage

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bark damage
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:04:38 -0600

Paul,
I thought you may find this article by Alan Biggs useful: http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/biggs/articles/Arbor90JA.PDF  It is rather technical, but has some great information.

I use a pruning sealer for all bark injuries as well as pruning cuts to prevent the entrance of any disease.   Lac Balsam, also known as artificial bark, is the world’s finest tree wound treatment. It was developed and patented by horticulturists in Europe for use in grafting as well as tree wound sealant. It provides protection against insect and disease organisms that are attracted to open wounds. It comes with a brush which makes application fast and easy.  So if you do grafting, this would be my recommendation.  It can be found at http://treerx.com.  If you do no grafting, then I would recommend NuBark at http://www.saferbrand.com/store/product.asp?pf_id=2700&dept_id=71&mscssid=1 or Tanglefoot at http://www.biconet.com/tree/pruning.html.  Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard