nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bark Damage

  • From: "O'Barr, R. D." <topgun@otelco.net>
  • To: <breen@fedcoseeds.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bark Damage
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:59:58 -0600

I agree mostly with the premise of not painting the tree's wounded area, and
I have heard the author's lecture and read his book. This is true for limbs
that are cut off. But for a loss of bark and not a limb, I like to use a
little non-toxic latex paint to retard borers from egg laying. Of course if
you are spraying at that time with an insecticide then there should be no
problem.
One would not readily come to the conclusion that bark wounding would slow
down substantially the next season's growth. However, I have observed an
orchard of young pecan trees that were severely damaged by hail and they
grew very little for the next several years.
Topgun
Zone 7