nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cold Peaches ?

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cold Peaches ?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:05:20 -0600

Originally, some folks propagated Reliance from seed. These various trees
have been
propagated by budding and sold as Reliance. It has been said. Beware. Meader
made a
good peach, but the on-going theory that peaches are true to type has created
confusion.
Those with good-tasting Reliance should send budwood to those who do not have
good
tasting Reliance. The dieing in cold weather is due to unhardy rootstock, as
hardy peach on unhardy rootstock in pointless. Own-root your Reliance!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Wed Nov 23 6:47 , 'tanis cuff' <tanistanis@hotmail.com> sent:

>20+ years ago a neighbor planted a peach tree which I assume was a
>Reliance-- the only thing being sold in area (s.WI) then. It actually
>produced a crop before it winter-killed. Fantastic flavor! Average
>silt-loam soil, don't know if & what they might have fertilized with.
>
>Have you considered the idea that not all nursery stock is correctly
>labelled? Maybe your poor flavored Reliance is mislabelled.

change other email options):