nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cold Peaches ?

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cold Peaches ?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:36:42 -0600

Hello Richard!

We have been growing peaches in zone 4b/5a for about 8 years.  We planted about 10 new varieties in April of 2004 and have had good success with the following varieties:

Flamin' Fury PF1, PF7, PF24, Red Haven, John Boy, FA59 Coral Star, Encore, Laurol, Contender and Sugar Giant being new varieties that are now have been through one winter with no winter kill.   Earliglow, Madison, Starking Delicious, Reliance, Summer Pearl, Redskin and Stark Finale are our older varieties and have been through -10 degrees with no problem.

Our Flamin' Fury are from Paul Friday in Michigan, but were purchased through Adam's County Nursery in Pennsylvania.  There stock is grown in Sussex County, Delaware which is actually zone 6/7.   You can visit Adam's County site at http://www.acnursery.com  and Paul Friday at  http://www.flaminfury.com/.

Our older trees came from Stark Bros. in Missouri.  They have seen several harsh winters and have weathered well.  Hope some of the info helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard