nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Kiwi problem

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Kiwi problem
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:57:25 -0500

Just to ride coattails here,
If a woody plant is underplanted with a well-fertilized perennial or
herbaceous,
stress can bring out various problems. Given nitrates and other nutrients
very
available without bacterial or fungal associations (ie garden soil), the
woody
plant will be very content NOT to form those associations. But, upon drought
(or
other stress) the woody plant has not created the relationships it needs, and
cannot due to the prevailing condition. During stress, it is those
associations
that make woody plants more resilient than annuals or perennials, albeit
those
plant types also have associations but I mean under cultivation. The
beneficial
relationships also afford greater access to moisture.
Under-planting creates additional issues with offering the woody plant soil
that is
so well broken up, it will not feed beyond the under-planted area. Once
stressful
situations arise later in the season, the root system cannot and will not
repond by
spreading into more compact surrounding soil for water. At least here on the
Eastern side of the Mississippi, almost all roots of woody plants do not feed

deeper than 3 feet (exception is taproot plants, but most plants do not have
a deep
taproot).
Yes in nature these plant types thrive side by side, but nature is more
demanding
of plants than our backyards. I would observe the needs of the Kiwi
nutritionally
versus the strawberries (which are heavy feeders) and maybe seperate the two.
Soil
test is always a good idea, but translating that info into what is good for
woody
plants not perennials or herbies is a whole other issue.
Sometimes we spend too much time concerned with fruit production in a
nutritional
sense, and focusing your interaction only on that with a woody plant will
lead to
that plants death many times. IE just because it is producing fruit doesn't
mean it
is happy, and just because it is not producing fruit does mean it isn't
happy. When
a drought strikes, unless irrigation is being used, removing all fruit can be
the
answer to saving a woody plant.
I know, I know, I spread it deep,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Sat Oct 29 6:55 , Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net> sent:

>Replying to Chris Mauchline' Kiwi problems:
>
> The classic symptom of potassium deficiency is browning/drying around the
>edges of leaves. Left unchecked, leaves will turn yellow, wither and fall
>off. If you are having a drought, it is logical that potassium would become
>unavailable. More than likely, your leaves are exhibiting symptoms of
>several nutrients going out of solution.
>--
>
>Jim Fruth
>Brambleberry Farm
>Pequot Lakes, MN