nafex - Re: [NAFEX] SummerCrisp Pears?

  • From: rmelrose@silicondairy.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] SummerCrisp Pears?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:29:24 -0400 (EDT)

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat Oct 15 12:28:04 2005
> From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
> Hello Again All;
>
> A description of SummerCrisp pears in a Book "fruit growing in the upper
> midwest" says:
>
> "They must picked on time, or a strong aroma develops and Grit Cells form"
>
> What kind of Strong Aroma ??
> A few grit cells or a ton ??
>
> Anybody have one of these ??
> I'm looking at buying 10 trees.
>
> Thank you all.........
>
> Richard

Here in Northern Vermont (4a/3b) I pick `Summercrisp' in mid-August (16th
this year) and treat them pretty much like Asian pears. They do get gritty
if left much longer on the tree although I have not noticed any particular
smell, maybe I have not left them long enough! I like them, especially
because they are ready to eat in August. However, the other P. ussuriensis
crosses I grow are more interesting to my taste -- `Golden Spice' ripens in
the second half or September here, is horrible before it is ripe, but then
is good and cooks well. `Luscious' actually lives up to its name, doesn't
keep (none of them do) but is very nice in late September. John, Ure and
Early Gold have not yet fruited.

Richard