nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red/Pink Fleshed Apples

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red/Pink Fleshed Apples
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:32:29 -0500

zone 5,  ncentral Indiana -
Pink Pearl - ripens august 25,  2 1/4 - 2 3/4",  red flesh color undependable, very little if the weather is hot (most years) tart, but edible -  mellow - good sauce apple -
Almata - ripens august 20 - 2",  deep red flesh,  very tart (not a pleasant raw eat for me) - pretty sauce -
Geneva - ripens Sept 1,  2 1/4 - 2 1/2" - deep red flesh,  very tart,  rubbery texture - productive/biennial,  has to be thinned to size and repeat
Red Giant - (F Janson) ripens sept 5,  2 3/4 - 3 1/2",  deepest red flesh,  very tart,  rubbery texture - cooks alright,  Fred reportedly used it for coloring juice - makes an interesting pie in combo with something like summer rambo or cortland - good size and easy thinning make it more grower friendly - not pleasant to eat out of hand,  tho -
Redford (Nied.  cross) ripens sept 1,  2" - poor crab quality - ornamental basically,  but leaves a mess when the fruit falls - scab succeptable too -
Hidden Rose - believe it claimed to be the same as another yellow skinned red flesh,  but I forget which (Bill's,  perhaps?)- the best quality red flesh with the fatal flaw of pre-harvest (actually pre-maturity) drop - 9 out of 10 hit the ground - 2 3/4" attractive smooth yellow/green skin with flesh color consistant medium red - tart but palitable - the best quality red flesh I know - if you could use Alar to keep them on the tree....they fall off around sept 10 and mature october 1 -