nafex - [NAFEX] gala apple

  • From: "Michelle Horner" <shelly2@wi.rr.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] gala apple
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:50:19 -0500

I was scolded by my great-uncle for even bothering to plant Gala.  His comments were you have to watch it close, especially if you wanted it for market--it has a tendency to split on the crown near the stem?  We have had some weird rains this year in SE Wis--really too much, too late.  They blew out all my tomatoes.  I didn't think about the apples.

 I just ate one of the most delicious apples, off the tree--it was a true picture of eye beauty.  It was a Gala.  I assume they do not store as well??  Its 85 degrees today--the Gala was like eating a really crisp apple pie--very juicy, warm, sweet.  I don't know if it gets any better then that!  This is my first year to get Gala--it will be interesting to see if it presents problems in the future.

On the other hand, Goldrush is still hard and green.  I know now from past experience I'll be picking that in a panic some dark, hardfrost evening.  But I'll still be eating it , wrinkly but yummy-sweet in May!

Michelle Horner  Zone 4/5  SE Wis.