nafex - [NAFEX] Blight and Old Wives Tales

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blight and Old Wives Tales
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:54:07 -0600

As I live in semi-desert conditions, I hardly ever see diseases that
are found in damp areas so I searched on tomato blight and came up
with several interesting websites and information.

http://www.uvm.edu/extension/publications/gardendisease/gd11.htm

http://www.apsnet.org/media/press/archive/blightips.asp

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/expert/tomato-blight.html

As control is different for the two different blights you might
encounter
you might consider looking for blight resistant varieties, mulching,
drip watering,
planting in an airy spot where dew and such evaporates rather quickly.

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/gww4323/1
Mentions possible blight resistant varieties

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2217.htm
States there are no late blight resistant varieties.

Both blights can show up early or late in the season regardless of
their name.

The 2nd page of this site says they are seeing good results trying to
breed
resistance into plants.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3869/is_200503/ai_n13507109#continue

This site is good reading.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/food_and_cooking/2005_April_May/Great_tasting_Tomatoes

When you search be sure and enter 2005 in your search to get the
latest information.

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Eveland;Rodney
FN:Rodney Eveland
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:revelan1@us.ibm.com
REV:20051003T025407Z
END:VCARD

  • [NAFEX] Blight and Old Wives Tales, Rodney Eveland, 10/02/2005