nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw shelters?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw shelters?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:10:01 -0500

At 07:32 AM 9/13/2005, you wrote:
what kind of tube shelters should i use for pawpaw seedlings and what is a
good source for them? we are going to try planting them soon if we ever
get some rain. the ground is like adobe here in southcentral Pennsylvania.

Scott,
I've used both Tubex (www.tubex.com) and TreePro(www.treepro.com) shelters. Think I prefer the 2-ft Tubex types for small pawpaw seedlings.
I've seen folks use plain old 5-gallon plastic buckets - cutting the bottom out of them and placing them around the seedlings - they work pretty much the same as the tree shelters, providing some shading & protection against wind dessication - just a significantly wider diameter.
Lucky