nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Bagging Question

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Bagging Question
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:59:42 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,
This year I had small cracking of the apple surface on the part of the apple that got the most sun.  The apple didn't split open. just surface carcks.  I haven't tallied it, but I have seen that on about 6 of 40 apples I looked at.  Other years (previous 3 years), I have only seen two apples that were split open out of about 400.  I didn't notice a difference between bags that had water in them and the ones that did not.
    To note, I didn't care for my apple trees at all this year, except to bag the apples. My area (Minneapolis) had some dry periods mixed with torrential downpours, so I don't know if this impacted the apple growth.  I also had more insect damage this year, as I think I was a few days late getting the bags on the apples (I try to get them on by June 1).

Nate
Zone 4a

Mark and Piper <piper33@verizon.net> wrote:
Jim,
My bagged apples split when the bags are totally filled with water. In the
bags that collect just a few ounces of water, the apples are fine.
-Mark