nafex - [NAFEX] field bindweed observation

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] field bindweed observation
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:02:56 +0000

Was it last summer there was a brief string about how to eradicate field bindweed? I've been working on some for 2-3 years now, and here's a report.

I'm trying to clear small flowerbeds in a plot which was mostly quackgrass, bouncing bet (Saponaria offic.), and field bindweed. Light soil-- loamy sand. One area got 2 RoundUp sprays and deep weeding last year, other area got 1 or 2 sprays last year & 2 sprays this spring. In the older area, all 3 weeds appear, but are reducing due to vigilant weeding. The bindweed grows faster when it pops up, but the bouncing bet is much more abundant & persistant; quack is minor issue. In the newer area, all three weeds had to compete w/ the healthiest first-year sweet clover grown here in years, yet the bouncing bet is still the worst-- soil is rich w/ sturdy-looking roots.

So, if you think field bindweed is bad, be glad you don't have bouncing bet.

tc, s.WI, plenty of opportunity for weed trials