nafex - [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:17:35 -0500

Ginda,
I don't think CAR causes much, if any defoliation. The problem is that
the affected area can't photosynthesize. So if the level of infection is
low enough that the tree's energy production is not affected, I don't think
it does all that much harm. Now, if a lesion is close to the center of the
leaf, will it reduce sap flow to and from the further reaches? I don't
know, guess I could look at our abundant examples.
Your level of infection sounds ok to me. Depending on how many cedars
you have close, and your weather and climate in general, you may never have
a high level of infection. There are so many cedars on our property, and so
close to my apples, that I wonder if the feedback between the two will
increase as the trees grow. Many of the cedars will be coming out, but
there will still be too many, so I am going for CAR res vars such as the
winesap family. It appears that the coming of the white man has
dramatically increased the cedar population. Here, abandoned cornfields and
pastures on slopes are revealed at every turn in some counties by acres of
cedars. Donna