nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:02:06 -0500

I have similar levels of infection on certain trees here in SW Wisconsin (a
lesion or two on each leave on a good proportion of leaves) and notice no
problems. I get no defoliation from CAR so I don't worry. I never treat
for it. If you look at spray recommendations, CAR is not touched by Captan
for example. You have to go for Maneb (scary--read the label) or one of the
expensive systemics (Polyram).

CAR seems to be the biggest problem in certain parts of the mid-South but
I'm sure folks there will weigh in on that. I don't know of an organic
control. Michael Phillips says sulfur, but whether that would work under
high disease pressure.

Steve Herje, SWWI