nafex - [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cedar Apple Rust
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:59:26 -0400

How serious a problem is cedar apple rust? I have a few young apple trees, and I noticed that several of the leaves of all but one of them have a CAR lesion. Between deer and winter moths, these trees have more serious problems (I think) but they don't have many leaves in total, so "several" means maybe 1 leaf in 5, or one in 10.

How serious a burden to the tree is this level of infection? Please don't reply with a list of CAR-resistant trees. My question is about how important it is for me to treat these ones. (If I only grew apples resistant to everything, I'd have very little choice, and most if it could be purchased at my local seasonal fruit stand.)

This year seems like it might be better than last, I think the Jonathan last year had infections on at least a quarter of its leaves, and this year it can't be more than 1 in 8. (Most of the others are new since last year.)

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6