nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black Cherry

  • From: william anderson <dekalbman2@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black Cherry
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:57:33 -0700 (PDT)

I had understood years ago that the fruits of the Wild Black Cherry could be poisonous if ingested in quantity. I don't remember any details but I think they damaged the kidneys. Aren't the wilted leaves fatal to browsing cattle?

Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net> wrote:
Prunus Serotina - the native american big cherry tree - the same used to make cherry furniture - is a flavor rarely tasted even by fruit fanciers. The closest would be Luden's Wild cherry flavored cough drops. A rare special experience to taste. This tree like any others is subject to variation throughout its vast range, and better and worse areas of local trees are found. There are a few good ones to be encountered, but few and far between. I've got a good one grafted, but the berries are small. Who knows what prevents these powerful, young-bearing trees from fulfilling their fruiting potential, birds are part of the reason but other reasons could exist, who knows what it is.
Charlie Paradise Massachusetts

Jim Fruth wrote:

> A pain in the butt to pick the fruit. I run into them while picking
> choke cherries. Both have clusters of fruit not unlike grapes. Choke
> cherries ripen the whole cluster at the same time. Black cherries ripen one
> cherry at a time with the whole cluster ripening over a couple of weeks with
> never more than one or two ripe berries to be found within the cluster -
> berries fall off soon after ripening if the birds don't get them first.
> --
>
> Jim Fruth
> Brambleberry Farm
> Pequot Lakes, MN