nafex - [NAFEX] Grape Arbor

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape Arbor
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:07:43 -0400

Hello all,

I have a 10x10 grape arbor and wonder about fruit ripening and pruning?

Every year the arbor puts on a very dense canopy that creates total shade. The canopy is about one foot deep.

I have read that when you approach harvest you can/should prune back the canopy to allow the sun to shine on ripening fruit, to hasten the process.

When my grapes begin to turn color, should/can I prune back the top canopy to allow more sun? How much canopy can I remove?

Later,
Tom