nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grape Arbor

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grape Arbor
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:29:18 -0700

Increased sun on the fruit apparently enhances/alters the metabolism of the berries. I've seen St. Croix without leaf pulling that wouldn't get much over 17 Brix and the wine had a weedy taste. When leaves were removed just from around the fruit to allow sun on it during ripening, the sugar levels increased to 20 and 21 Brix and the wine had a much more fruity character.
-Lon Rombough