nafex - Re: [NAFEX] petunia question

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] petunia question
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:01:25 -0400

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:12:56 EDT, you wrote:

>This spring I ordered and grew from seed a type of Petunia called a "mound"
>Petunia. It's doing great. Does anybody know if hybrid Petunias have seed
>true to kind, or do I have to re-order from the catalog again next spring?

By definition, hybrids do not have seed true to kind. A
hybrid is a mix of two varieties within a species usually;
and less often a mix of two species.

Sometimes you can get nice plants from the seeds, although
you won't know ahead of time what you are getting. I've had
plenty of perfectly reasonable tomato 'volunteers' from
hybrids (when I lived in a longer season place than I do
now).

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.