nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries

  • From: "Richard Kruse" <richkrus@gvtel.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:57:42 -0500

First of all when talking about Juneberries, aka Serviceberry,
Saskatoon, or shadblow we can be talking about any one of the estimated 25
to 45 different species and/or the hybrids of the previously mentioned
species. Because the different species are so difficult to tell apart it is
impossible, in my opinion, to be very specific when speaking of Amelanchier.
But first I will say that I doubt, unless a plant came originally from
Canada or such that it is a A. Alnifolia. Dirr does describe a variety
commonly called the Pacific Serviceberry that does not taste good fresh. He
lists its hardiness as 2 to 5.
The wild Juneberry in this area of zone 3, northern Minnesota, is a very
good tasting berry. It does not yield very well year to year like the
Saskatoon's from Canada. No offense, but they don't match the locals here.
In fact on variety, Pembina, I refuse to pick. A species I have found
further North in Mn. which I call(when pressed) the Allegheny Serviceberry
(Amelanchier laevis) is also a good tasting non suckering berry.
If this doesn't say anything very concrete it's because of the subject. I
have an article telling of nurseries selling one plant as three different
species because of the confusion around this member of the rose family. The
Mn arboretum does not list the location of its plants on its guide. I would
guess because what is planted does not necessarily match common
descriptions.
I would guess that if the plants you see are of a landscape form they
are not alnifolia or Saskatoon's because of the suckering nature A. A..
Dick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>