nafex - RE: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:55:42 -0700

That explains it. The plant with that rare foliage was probably also rarely
bitter.

I've only had wild ones, and they're always sweet. We have a home in the
high Sierra - zone 2 - where in a long-summered year we find plentiful
gooseberries, thimble berries, and serviceberries - the "June" berries ripen
in mid-September up there. I leave most for the forest critters, but in the
one-in-ten year where they're abundant, I'll make a tart or berry pancakes
or muffins.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate