nafex - [NAFEX] bitter juneberries

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:05:32 -0700

I have been sampling Juneberry (Amelanchier alnifolia) around town.
Until I started looking for these, I never noticed them. Now that I
know what they look like, I see them everywhere. Very popular choice
for landscaping projects now. Although sweet, most of these I would
rather not eat fresh due to their bitterness. I read that drying makes
them less bitter. Has anyone experienced this? I wonder if this
bitterness could be used to advantage in a fermented beverage? Salt may
help also, similar to salting eggplant to remove bitterness, or
preserving in brine as bitter olives are? I think I'll do some
experiments in the kitchen. Comments?
-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 8a