nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rotting Apple Bark

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rotting Apple Bark
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:48:57 -0400

Thank you Stephen and Dave for your input and comment. After scouring
the INet for all cankers and reviewing the trees history, I believe
David was correct in assessing winter damage, in spite of my original
denial.

A couple of summers prior to start of the damage, I, being ticked off
with the poor apple production and high labour needs for my trees,
drastically pruned the Mac apple tree, and less drastically the Red
Del. Every large branch on the mac has evidence of sunscald; whereas,
only one on the RD.

The change in the micro climate and the lack of resistance of the now
'partially nude' trees are the obvious the culprits.

John B