nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Farkleberry

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Farkleberry
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:48:13 -0500

They are called Sparkleberries here.  Unlike the years of my youth in the
thirties, the yield is greatly reduced.  The flowers do yield nectar, but in
my location, it is fed to brood and I have only seen one yield of honey.  I
will try to get some seed.  He would probably be more successful grafting to
another vaccinium.   I could supply some scions or better yet some root
cuttings if he bears the shipping costs.  No problem finding them on my
land.  I wish they would be more than a decoration and a pretty smell.
Doc
Zone 7/8

Doc,  How do I know which one I have?  Our land is very acidic, we actually have some native small low growing blueberries.  But we have these 2 other vacciniums, and one is more graceful, with long droopy stems, tends to have almost stripey bark, the berries tend to be reddish and disappear before any further color change, with dainty open flowers, almost like little hanging stars, but bell shaped.  I have tasted the fruit, but they are rather acrid. The other type gets bigger, very vertical growing with lots of short spiky branchlets along the trunks, more closed flowers like a blueberry, and dark blue berries.  These I have not sampled.  Neither crops very well, nothing here crops very well without years of soil amendments, not even the native trees.   Donna