nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Rotting Apple Bark

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'John Barbowski'" <jbarbowski@gmail.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Rotting Apple Bark
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:32:14 -0700

Maybe white rot canker?

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of John Barbowski
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 2:32 PM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] Rotting Apple Bark

Apple Bark Question

I have two mature apple trees (25 yrs), Red Delicious and Mac. The
bark on the top side of two of the main Mac branches and one of the
main RD branches has died and is peeling away. There has been no
trauma to cause this malady. There is no chance of sunscald. The
branch tips are alive and fruiting. Any ideas about the cause? See 2nd
picture on :

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_memberpics.php?memberid=233376

Click on a picture to enlarge it.

Just in passing, I used to coach boys hockey and have a large
container of pucks. My boys still play, but no longer need the copious
number of black disks. I have since put them to use as weights on my
apple trees, affixing them with twist ties. It works quite well. (See
1st picture).

The past winter here in Thornhill, just north of Toronto (Zone 6B),
was severe. There were no blossoms on my apricot (Harcot), green gage
plum, two sweet cherries (Van, Van Anne), or 3 peaches. Two peaches
that grew from stones have lost 90% of their branches; the grafted Red
Haven survived with only about a 5% loss; 15% loss on the green gage.
Thank heavens for apples!

John B
to change other email options):