nafex - [NAFEX] Thank You Apple Baggers

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thank You Apple Baggers
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:13:23 -0500

I've read the apple bagging exchange for several years with great interest, having planted dwarf and mini apple trees in Spring 2004. The recent plum curlico discussion was of special interest. I've never encountered it and wouldn't know what to look for. Today I learned.

The Pixie Crunch tree set four apples, and I allowed three to remain, because the tree has grown to good size. A week ago, I bagged one of the apples and sprayed the tree with neem and clove oils. Today I found the two apples I didn't bag on the ground. One had brown rot on it to the core. The other had a brown spot that tunneled inward to the one seed that had developed. I assume I'm looking at plum curlico damage. The bagged apple has doubled in size this week and looks perfect. I'm grateful to all of you who share your knowledge and who aren't afraid to experiment.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border
Zone 4a/5b