nafex - Re: [NAFEX] re: grass type for orchard

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] re: grass type for orchard
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:03:21 -0700 (PDT)

I've tried planting into smoothbrome sod, and the minimum prep is remove 3
foot
diameter patch of sod from the planting spot. Then, minimum maintenance is
keep it
mowed (to reduce vigor of grass regrowth, and discourage vole activity).
Even then
the rhizomes want to invade the "empty" spot, and will rob water & nutrients
from
your tree. If you are planting vigorous rootstocks, they compete a little
better.

Sounds like a lot of mulch. Not sure what to recommend there; I've seen
sm.brome
actually grow BETTER even thru thick mulch because the soil is cool & damp.

Wondering: isn't buffalo grass a low-nutrient & dry soil grass? Sm.brome here
(s.WI) seems to do best with higher nutrient soils preferably which hold
moisture.

I like the clover idea. I also wonder about herbicides (very helpful
depending on
the scale of your "hobby"!) I resorted to using grass herbicides when I
could not
stay ahead of the grass weeds in production flowerbeds; sorry but I don't
recall if
I also used this around new tree plantings. If you can find one labelled for
this,
which should do no or not much damage to woody plants, and not dent the
clover, it
might prove helpful.

---Mark River wrote:
> Responding to Charlie's questions about brome grass:
>
> 1.)  I would be reomoving the brome with very little machinery - I have
> access to
> a hand sprayer and a rototiller.
> 3.)  The soil has plenty of lime.  The brome absolutely dominates, and is
> currently not mowed.  My location is high & dry (although we get a fair
> amount of
> precip here in Western Iowa).
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
> Mark
> Manning, IA  -  Zone 5a

Yahoo! Mail