nafex - [NAFEX] re: grass type for orchard

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] re: grass type for orchard
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:14:11 -0400

Mark,
I like Stephen's idea about subclovers.  I'd plant clover, only difference is I'd sow in 6 different varieties simultaneously to make sure at least something grew, I'll never trust a single-variety clover again after a poor performance by red clover here last summer.   The clover where it gets too tall can be cut and used as the mulch around your trees.
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts

Responding to Charlie's questions about brome grass:

1.)  I would be reomoving the brome with very little machinery - I have access to a hand sprayer and a rototiller.
3.)  The soil has plenty of lime.  The brome absolutely dominates, and is currently not mowed.  My location is high & dry (although we get a fair amount of precip here in Western Iowa).

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mark
Manning, IA  -  Zone 5a

Before we try to answer, Mark can you provide a little more information?
1] If the Brome grass were removed, who would remove it, and with what machinery?
2] What equipment is at your disposal?  Mower?  Disc harrow?  Plow?
3] Do you believe your soil to have sufficient lime?  Is the brome dominating or are there persistant obnoxious weed?  Is the brome regularly mowed currently?  Is the orchard location high and dry or wet and low?

Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts