nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bagging Apples

  • From: Andrew Bell <acbell@iastate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bagging Apples
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:22:58 -0500

At 06:31 AM 6/9/2005, you wrote:
I'm hoping that someone will answer Nate's question (below). I'd like to
know too.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN
www.bberryfarm.com

Nate's question:

Does anyone know how bad a single plum
curculio bite damages an apple? I've read that if the apple stays on the
tree that the larvae die anyway because apples are too firm for them...but I
wasn't going to waste time bagging it if it was already damaged.

I think the simple answer is, it depends. But I think that most of the time the damage is enough to not make you want to mess with the apple at maturity. Take a few of the PC damaged apples off the tree and cut them open. I think you'll see that the damage is much more than superficial.

I hate Plum Curculio.

Cheers,

-- Andrew Bell
acbell@iastate.edu