nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Fruity Opinions Wanted !!!

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Fruity Opinions Wanted !!!
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:54:17 -0500

Hello,
I would be tempted to try both.
I really like sour or pie cherries--we grow or have grown Montmorency,
Meteor, and North Star, and I planted some Evans this spring. They are
delicious fresh or frozen and don't need additional sugar unless you are
making a cherry pie. The problem is the labor involved in picking them. I
have a friend with a small cherry orchard in Door county, Wisconsin, and they
use a mechanical tree-shaking picker but have gone to a pick-your-own
operation in recent years, along with a roadside stand, instead of marketing
through the local co-op.
After finally getting a couple of crops from two plum trees, have also
planted more plums--our orchard is just for our own use, by the way--because
fresh tree ripened plums are a real treat.
I think that plums and pie cherries could be marketed to customers interested
in good quality tasty fresh fruit.

Jim Erdman, zone 4, Western Wisconsin, an hour east of St. Paul, Minn.