nafex - Re: [NAFEX] psychology for problem trees

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] psychology for problem trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:15:32 -0500

At 10:06 PM 5/20/2005, Donna wrote:
After all, if you have waited 10 years and have a
nice big tree, it seems silly to chop it down and start over with another
tree.
P.S. Lucky, I suppose you have considered ringing it? What are the chances
of something getting in the wound if he does, like Blackknot?

Oh, I'm not gonna chop it down - I'll treat it just like the peaches & pluots and hope that a borer or gummosis will strike and take it out. If I recall correctly it(or maybe it was one of the other plums) has some black knot - minor infection - and I pruned most of it off last year.
Maybe I'll just threaten it every time I pass it on the way to the mulberries or the nursery beds, and see what it does.

Lucky