nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:25:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Copper is a broad-spectrum 'cide. It kills bacteria also at the proper
concentration.

As for the alcohol, it is true that alcohol dips kill more effectively with
longer exposure of the pathogen to the alcohol, but a shorter time period
will reduce the inoculum and thus the likelihood of spreading the disease.
One common misconception about alcohols that even a surprising percentage of
junior biological scientists are unaware of is that 100% alcohol is less
effective at killing than 70% alcohol (speaking about ethanol here). That is
because the little bit of water in the 70% solution helps the alcohol
penetrate the bacterial or fungal cell walls so that the alcohol can kill
more quickly. I prefer to buy cheap 200 proof (100%) ethanol from a liquor
store and dilute it to 70% to sterilize my equipment. Any possible ignominy
of entering the liquor store is outweighed its usefulness for dissolving
rooting hormone (IBA) and sterilizing shears & saws.

Anton
Zone 8, with only a little blight so far this year.