nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Allelopathic Sunflowers?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Allelopathic Sunflowers?
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:39:27 -0700

I've been testing that theory by growing sunflowers in the same area for three years. As far as I can tell, the most they do is slow some of the weeds. If I don't weed, they are just as full of weeds as any other area in the garden. The shade they produce seems to have as much effect in slowing weed growth as anything. Of course there are many kinds of sunflowers and it may be that other varieties or species will have differing effects. The person who would really know is Dr. Alan Kapuler in Corvallis. He breeds sunflowers and many vegetables and has tried a range of varieties and species of sunflowers.
-Lon Rombough