nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum Pollenation Question

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Pollenation Question
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 05:53:45 -0500

Hi Steve,

A few of my plums bloom before the natives but these are mostly the
salicina ones like the Ptitsins and they are planted down the north facing
slope to compensate for this. While some are still too early the bloom
overlaps with the early natives, this year at least. I did have to drive
quite a ways to find an early native for my first bouquets of blossoms but
you certainly could force bloom to compensate. It would be best to mark a
plum patch for this as I find them almost impossible to locate until they
bloom.
A bigger problem for me this year is that some of the late blooming
hybrids - Waneta, Pipestone - didn't bloom until the natives were done and
my beach plums hadn't started yet. They finally started over the weekend
and I think I may have caught the hybrids with a combination of late
natives for the early part and beach plum for the later bloom. We'll see. I
don't like to look at fruit set until June drop as it is easy to be fooled
until then.
I met your friend Jean Johnson recently when I went to dig out a few of
her fruit trees before she moves and to do some crosses on her Siberian
peach. She seems very kind.

Dave

Currants